Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Lesson update - relax kua technique

It's been a while since i've last written about my private tai chi lesson. I've finished the Sun style form some weeks ago, and now i suppose it's fine tuning. The usual suspects are still there - relax, relax, relax! Such a simple word and yet the permutations of body parts that can be relaxed is just too many! So i'm just going to highlight the one that I'm finding most difficult - the kua!

I guess many has written about the kua. I've linked it with why we have knee problems when doing tai ji. Just when I thought I was making some in roads, my push hands classes tell me otherwise. The message is always the same - the kua is not "loose" enough. Going through this with my teacher, he came up with a simple technique which I hope will help you too.

First, let's start with a test of loose kua. Do a horse stance. Turn your upper body to one side while in that stance. Both your knees should stay where they are. If they're following your movement, your kua is not loose.

To do this in a horse stance is difficult. So what he advised was to do it in a higher horse stance. Let the focus be on loosening the kua rather than do a "pretty" horse stance. Give the knees a rest. In fact, try to avoid bending the knees further in an attempt to loosen the kua. The knees are still kept bent though.

I find that this technique actually helps narrow the focus on relaxing the kua. It shuts out distractions from all the other body parts. Please let me know if this helps you, or if I've made this clear enough.

No comments: