Monday, September 04, 2006

Reading vs doing tai chi

I read books to understand tai ji. I read books to find answers to why this move must be like this and why the hand must be there. I read to know more, to understand more. My conversation with my teacher told me something entirely different.

He reads to confirm his understanding. He buys lots of books when they're out. But he just puts it aside, until he's ready to read them. That's when he's learnt enough about a certain form and feel confident of his experience. Then only he consults the books.

I guess unconsciously, I am aware of my "lack of experience" part of my training. That's why i'm in a push hand class to test out the theories, and hopefully gain a better understanding of the theories. Never have I thought I should leave the books aside first and try to "feel" it.

Incidentally, I have left the books behind nowadays - which in retrospect, is probably a good thing! :D

No comments: