Tuesday, May 02, 2006

How to train longer?

I've been trying to train a bit longer now that I have more time in my hands. It's not going as planned. With all the good intentions of training longer every time i stepped out the door, always end up coming back earlier than intended. Today, i tried training the very basics of standing with "song kua". I didn't even try a very low stance. It's as high as you can get but to make sure the kua is really open. Apparently, as I found out today, it's when you place your finger at your kua, you can't actually feel any tension!...

I just stood there in a meditational posture, remembering also to keep the back straight. It was really tiring and when i opened my eyes (i.e. i couldn't take it any longer), it was just over 5 minutes! My goodness... And then, the rest of the form training was more difficult because of that. Legs were just like jelly.

Sometimes, just before coming back, i'll ask myself "can i stand the pain a bit longer"? And then the counter in the head would be "i won't be doing any quality training because i couldn't concentrate on being relaxed when the legs are shaking". And then if i do come back from training.. "i could have trained a bit longer"...

All the battle of thoughts, and I've come to one conclusion inspired by the form itself. What do you do when you train with the form? Do you try to correct every bit with the principles as you go through it? Or do you try to go with the flow?

I find that correcting bits when going through the form very tiring. It's like checking the dictionary for every word you don't understand! I've actually tried doing this once, but you just lose interest in the whole story. After that, I end up just checking one or two words that interest me, and try to fully understand those words.

Similarly, when going through the form, you can just pick and choose a section that you want to work on and practise that section separately, trying to fully understand it. Keep the section you're trying to practice as short as possible so that you get maximum focus.

When doing the form itself, try to remember the corrections when going through the form. But when you passed that bit that you've just remembered you've done wrongly, don't go back. You end up losing the flow and ultimately lose interest. Force yourself to carry on. And accept that you've made a mistake. At least you've spotted it and is conscious of it. Find some way to remember it so that you can do it the next time. I find blogging helps!

So when you come back from training and feel that you should have done longer, force yourself to carry on and accept that you've given up that chance to do longer. At least you've spotted it and is conscious of it. Find a way to remind yourself that you'll do longer the next time. Any suggestions warmly welcomed!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree that there is a conflict between training quality vs training quality... but I think your metaphor about reading doesnt work.

If indeed you read a thing but only stop to check one or two interesting word definitions in the dictionary...then by your description you may have read more, but you will have understood less.

Im sure youve heard about people having trained incorrectly for years and having gained nothing... I wouldnt want to be one of those people.

Ill stop and check my mechanics (or do it over until I am satisfied with the effort.) I would advise we all do the same.

Good luck with your training.

Anonymous said...

I guess there's an implicit assumption in breaking down the practice. I believe that each section actually tells the same story, only in a different way. So the small is actually representative of the large. I don't think picking out sections will lose the meaning of the whole. I guess this is where the analogy with the story breaks down, where knowing words will not know the whole story. Thanks for the comment!